Wednesday, December 2, 2009

What's with things breaking

We have a cute little Mazda. I love our car. It's barely 5 years old and hasn't given us any trouble. Until now. A part broke. I don't really understand what it was, but it was the only piece of the engine that was made out of plastic. This particular piece was under a lot of literal pressure. So it broke. The only plastic part in the whole engine. Hmm. This part was only available at great expense from the dealer. Hmm.

We got it repaired for thousands less than the initial estimate, and the check engine light keeps coming on. We've gotten that fixed twice, now, but it keeps coming back. Figures. The car is almost paid for.

Not long ago, the handle to our dishwasher started falling off and being a real problem to open. We only latch it now when in use. The rest of the time, we hold it shut with a bungie cord. (Have I mentioned what an amazingly high class household we are?) My younger son, the Wookiee, looked into what part we need and where we could order it today. Guess what? It's back-ordered. Tells me that this part breaks a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the only plastic part in the whole damned machine. I'm beginning to feel like we're all a part of some massive conspiracy on the part of manufacturers, plotting out which parts should fail first. I bet this part will only be available from the manufacturer, at great expense. When it comes in from back-order.

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, look, a blog! Seems to me we have a lot of catching up today ...

    I have to replace my whole dishwasher: its dead as a doornail, it wasn't that great a dishwasher to begin with as the people who renovated the building were cheap as sh!t, and it probably lasted longer than it was supposed to anyway.

    And the refrigerator leaks, which probably means it needs to be replaced as well.

    appliances. Labor-saving devices meant to cause hell in our lives.

    ReplyDelete